linux poison RSS
linux poison Email

Remote Control your Ubuntu Linux using Android - Gmote

Gmote turns your Android phone into a remote control for your computer, allowing you to start and control movies and music at a distance. It supports all of the standard remote control features such as play, pause, rewind, volume controls etc.  It also has a built-in file browser that lets you view the files that are on your computer and select what you want to play. It's great if you want to sit back while watching a DVD, or control the flow of songs in your favorite playlist. 

Gmote can also be used as a wireless Touchpad and keyboard, allowing you to control your computer at distance. Another great feature available in Gmote is the ability to stream music from your computer to your phone!

Setting up the Gmote Server:
The Gmote Server requires the Java JVM version 1.6 or higher.
To determine your java version, go to terminal and type 'java -version'.
You can download the latest JVM from http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

On the computer you wish to control, download and install the appropriate package for your Ubuntu Linux system - here, after successful installation, open the terminal and type following command:
tar -zxvf GmoteServerLinux2.0.0.tar.gz
cd GmoteServerLinux2.0.0/
./GmoteServer.sh
On starting you'll see a password prompt. This allows you to set a password so that only you can connect to the server from your phone. You'll be asked to enter this password once on the phone as well. You can change your password later by right clicking on the Gmote server icon (task bar) and selecting 'Change password'.

Finally Gmore server will get started on port 8889, make sure to adjust your firewall rules accordingly to allow connection on port 8889.

Setting up the Gmote Client:
The installation process for client is fairly simple. From your Android handset, download and install the Gmote client.

Finally, launch Gmote from your phone, select the server to connect to, and you are done! Happy Gmoting :)


8 comments:

Unknown said...

I absolutely love the Gmote app, but always wished it was mobile. Unfortunately, you can only stream within range of your WIFI network. I know it’s in beta form for now, but hope to see that major change. I use the Remote Access app from my employer, DISH Network, to stream live TV, on demand content, and all of my DVR recordings.

Mike said...

This isn't working for me. I've got the server running. I've got the client installed. Both my computer and phone are connected to my wireless network. My phone sees and displays "mike-laptop:8889", and seems to connect. However, whenever I try to tap one of the controls on the remote client, it says "Connection problems" and sends me back to the server list on the phone. I do not have a firewall active at all on my computer or anywhere in between. I've tried all the troubleshooting I could find, but it's all Windows-specific, not Linux/Ubuntu.

Any ideas? Thanks!

tuxthink said...

This sounds very interesting, will surely be fun to control the system from mobile.
Thanks for the info

Anonymous said...

With the new version of vlc, the server brashes every time you browse files.

Completely broken :-(

Unknown said...

Another great feature available Aaron D in Gmote is the ability to stream music from your computer to your phone!


Unknown said...

a remote android apps is developed by me if you want to collect the code reply me..

Unknown said...

This allows you to set a password Dan so that only you can connect to the server from your phone.


Unknown said...

remote android app is still facing some problem as i used it...it need some improvement...

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails